The Jeffrey Cheah Scholars-in-Residence Programme at Gonville and Caius College, University of Cambridge
In a Memorandum of Agreement, signed between Jeffrey Cheah Foundation and Gonville & Caius College, University of Cambridge in March 2018, provision was made for the establishment of the Jeffrey Cheah Scholars-in-Residence programme.
Gonville & Caius College, founded in 1348, is one of the oldest and most distinguished colleges in Cambridge. The College is located at the heart of Cambridge and the picturesque Old Courts of the College can be spotted in the centre of the town.
The Jeffrey Cheah Scholars-in-Residence programme is open to any full-time academic staff member from the Sunway Education Group (Sunway University, Sunway College, and Monash University Malaysia).
Two (2) Scholars each year will be selected by a competitive process based on the selection criteria below:
- Academic record of the candidate
- Quality of the proposal to undertake a period as Jeffrey Cheah Scholar-in-Residence at Gonville & Caius College.
- Expected benefit to the Scholar and to the Sunway Education Group as a result of the period as Jeffrey Cheah Scholar-in-Residence.
This prestigious programme enables two academic members of the Sunway Education Group (SEG) to reside in Gonville & Caius College for a period of four weeks to undertake significant research and other academic activities using the University’s extensive libraries and laboratory facilities. The College does not provide any supervision or teaching to the Scholars, who are expected to be academically independent.
Residential accommodation is provided by the College, and the period of residence must be in the University vacation periods. Only one Scholar at a time may take up residence, and, as the residence is out of term, two meals (breakfast and lunch) are provided on Monday to Friday inclusive.
Air travel expenses and meal allowances (two meals on Monday to Friday) will be paid by the business unit, to which the successful candidate belongs.
Scholars are issued with a Gonville & Caius College identity card which provides access to the University Library. If it is intended that laboratory facilities will be needed, the Scholar must make arrangement for access with the appropriate University Department.
1. Completed application form (in pdf format)
2. Curriculum vitae which includes a summary of qualifications and experience, a full list of publications, presentations, awards and honours, and a description of current research and other scholarly work
3. A letter of recommendation may be included with the application if the applicant wishes to do so.
1. Applicant to submit the required documents, electronically, to Alison Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org within the set timeline.
2. Evaluation process will be conducted by panel of reviewers.
- Scholars are chosen by a selection committee chaired by the Vice-Chancellor, and the selectors’ choices are endorsed by the Master of Gonville & Caius College.
3. Applicants will be notified of the outcome via e-mail.
- Letter of offer will be issued to successful applicants along with a set of instructions and guidelines.
To be confirmed